Thursday, May 5, 2011

Just Call Me "Complication Girl"

I was changing clothes last night to get into my jammies and I grabbed the bottom of my shirt to take it off and it was wet. I looked down and it was covered in blood.  I called for Johnny and my mom/sister. All came in and I laid back on the bed and Johnny was cleaning the blood to try to figure out where it was coming from and it was from the incision where he sutured the fascia of the muscle. The skin had opened and ruptured.  It was cloudy blood, which indicated to me an infection.  We cleaned and bandaged it back up and then had to make the decision of going to the E/R or wait for my surgeon the next morning.  I decided that I'd rather wait on my surgeon who knew me and not just let any Tom, Dick, or Harry poke and prod at me, not knowing my whole clinical condition and history.  I woke up in the middle of the night between four and five o'clock and the blood had flooded the bandage and had soiled/saturated my night gown.  I cleaned it up the best I could and put yet another bandage on it, this time with gauze rolled under it.  I called his office and his answering service told me at 7:30 that he'd want to see me at 9.  So I called about 10 til 9 and they said "oh he's in surgery and his first appointment is at 1".  So I changed the bandage again and piddled around waiting on 1 o'clock to get here.  I got there for my appointment and he told me it was infected (in which I was not shocked) and he numbed me up with shots of lidocaine, snipped out all of the sutures and opened the wound back up and packed it.  Now I'll have to pack the wound until it granulates out and forms fresh/healthy tissue. I go see him again in the morning at 9 am. Fortunately, he said it was one of the easier complications to treat and everything would be fine.  I was shocked though with my medical history of getting staph infections more  frequently than most that he would've put me on antibiotics but he didn't.  I guess antibiotics are more complicated with bypass patients, as they can't swallow anything bigger than a plain M & M and most of the antibiotics on the market are honkers! I'm pretty sore today where the sorest incision to start with has been manipulated and altered. Hopefully it'll be better tomorrow.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get free stuff on Listia!

Auctions for free stuff at Listia.com
Check out my listings!!
more free stuff on Listia

Translate me!

Stay sweet! :-)