Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Update on Vitamin Help post


***UPDATE***

I recently found out that my B12 has to be sublinqual; being an RNY patient, we only have 1/8 of a normal stomach. B12 is absorbed in the stomach and since it being in the pouch for 30 minutes or less, doesn't leave a lot of time for absorption.  It is required that we dissolve them directly under the tongue (sublingual) so it'll go straight into our blood stream.

Also, my bariatric surgeon looked at my multivitamins that I found and he didn't particularly care for them as they don't contain very many minerals.  I have since switched to the following:
  • Sublingual B12 - Cherry flavored
  • One Source Prenatal vitamins (the size of a regular Tylenol tablet - 2 at a time, twice a day).
I may take prenatal vitamins in the morning and a regular multivitamin with no iron at night (the one with no minerals) because too much iron can throw me into another impaction and I don't particularly want to go there.

Another bariatic patient found some B12 that contained other stuff like folic acid, but I figure if I'm taking the prenatal with folic acid anyway, then it would probably be okay just taking the good ole' regular B12.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get free stuff on Listia!

Auctions for free stuff at Listia.com
Check out my listings!!
more free stuff on Listia

Translate me!

Stay sweet! :-)