Sunday, April 10, 2011

My preop diet

So I went and weighed on Tuesday and my current weight was 464.6.  I started the preop diet, which consists of 4 shakes a day and either a lean cuisine or healthy choice frozen meal or a lean grilled meat and a green vegetable.

The shake options are:
  1. Muscle Milk No Sugar Added Light (100 cal each), which are a bit grainy for my taste and have an off-putting smell.
  2. Carnation Instant Breakfast No Sugar Added premade drinks (which smell even worse than the muscle milk and have a strange after-taste).
  3. Carnation Instant Breakfast No Sugar Added packets and make the shake with 1 cup of skim milk. 

I chose option #3.  The majority of the protein is coming from the milk and its not manufactured protein that generally has a vitaminy smell, which honestly, just turns my stomach to even think about it. 

Here is my adapted recipe to make the shakes tolerable for my sensitive stomach:
  • 1 packet of Carnation Instant Breakfast Essentials - No sugar added (Chocolate flavored)
  • 1 cup of skim milk
  • 1 tbsp of sugar free torani syrup to taste - I use SF Hazelnut or SF Caramel
  • 4-5 cubes of ice
Blend until smooth and icy.  I drink mine with a straw because the milk blended with ice creates sort of a tasteless foam at the top and all of the "goodness" if you can call it that (lol) - is at the bottom.  The chocolate doesn't come through very strong. If my walmart had it, I'd buy some SF Chocolate Torani syrup, but all they had were caramel and hazelnut.  The caramel one sort of tastes like a caramello and the hazelnut smells and tastes like hazelnut (big surprise right? haha).

For the one meal-a-day option of either something frozen or something fresh, I went with the fresh option.  I have had things like salad with grilled chicken on top, BBQ chicken pizza (using a wheat tortilla as the crust), steak and salad, or something like that.  My husband is precious and is doing all of the grilling for me and he eats basically what I eat. 

I marinate all of the meat before being grilled.

Chicken:
  • Bragg's Amino acids (2 tbsp)
  • Mrs. Dash for grilling chicken (1 tsp)
  • 3 tbsp water

Steak: 
I prefer New York strip steaks. They are tender, lean, and flavorful. 
  • Bragg's Amino Acids (1 tbsp)
  • Mrs. Dash for grilling for Steak (about 1 tsp)
  • Worcestershire sauce (about 10 dashes)
  • Soy sauce (a few dashes)
  • Dale's (1-2 cap fulls max)
  • garlic (2-3 cloves - lightly crushed and left mainly whole)
  • pepper (about 1/4 tsp)
  • seasoned meat tenderizer (about 1/4-1/2 tsp)
My husband pours the left over marinades on top of the meat right before he starts grilling it and the meat just sucks up the juices and is delicious!

My something green can be green beans, brussel sprouts, not so much peas as they are a starch, salad, broccoli, etc.  I eat mainly salad and I add tomatoes, cucumbers, fresh broccoli and cauliflaur, sometimes onion sliced really thin, low cal crotons, fat free dressing, low cal bacon bits and cheese - I let myself have REAL cheddar cheese, after all - it is a protein ;-)

So I started this diet Tuesday evening and I weighed 464.6 and I weighed Friday afternoon after work and I ended up weighing 454.1, a loss of 10.5 lbs in just over three days!

Want to try your own?  My diet is medically supervised by my own physician, but to try out some of my recipes and shakes, here's what you'll need:
       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get free stuff on Listia!

Auctions for free stuff at Listia.com
Check out my listings!!
more free stuff on Listia

Translate me!

Stay sweet! :-)