Tuesday, June 7, 2011

10 Day Sickie Challenge - Day Three



Eight Songs that inspire me or lift me when I am down

These are in NO particular order

1.  Born this way - Lady GaGa

This acapella version is somehow more powerful to me and draws me in more than her studio version.  Its a song of power and self acceptance and that you're perfect just the way you are.




2.  Just By Being You - Steel Magnolia

This song gives me hope that you don't have to give up your dreams due to chronic pain/illness.  Hope that there is a place that exists where you can remove the mask of being a sickie and just be you - whatever that "you" is: a man, a woman, a daughter, a son, a mother, a father, a sister, a brother, a friend, a lover.   Even if you can only escape for 3:56. 



3.  How You Live - Point of Grace

No matter what your beliefs or your religion, sometimes you need someone to tell you to eat from your good china, take a few chances, let you hair down, and embrace every ounce that life has to give you.  This song is that for me.



4.  I'm Still Standing - Elton John

Life puts you through trials, tribulations, and obstacles and there is always pain along the way.  I have always heard "God will never put you through more than he already knows you can handle." But sometimes, I wish he didn't have so much faith in us.  With everything life entails, you have to keep your spirit, your true essence of you and don't let the pain, the illness, the past, the trauma, or anything else break you.



5.  I Hope You Dance - Leann Womack

When you dream - dream bigger.  Don't ever give up on love - not even for a second. Take every opportunity to see the beauty in yourself and in others and the wonder that surrounds us all. Thank you mom for all you've taught me as a child and for being my rock as an adult.  I love you!



6.  Say Hey - Michael Franti & Spearhead

Sometimes you need something that just makes you want to get up and dance - something that just pours sunshine into your spirit. I tried to have this as a ringtone, but I had to change because I would rather listen to it play than answer the phone.  It was almost like I would forget that someone was calling because I always just got lost in the rhythm.  Also - never pass up the opportunity to tell the people you love "I love you".



7.  A Good Friend & A Glass of Wine - Leeann Rhimes

Sometimes, you just need some girl talk with someone who understands you.  Time to share, time to vent, time to cry, time to laugh, and time to just be a girl.  Sometimes you just need your sister.  Amber this is for you! Show her some love and visit her blog Fibro Of Oz or follow her on twitter amberrlouise79. Heck, do both! :-)



8.  Live Like You Are Dying - Tim McGraw

The original song was written by Tim Nichols and Craig Wiseman, but when Tim McGraw took it on as the title track to his 2004 album, he altered it to fit his own situation and even changed the entire perspective of the song.  It was originally written from a father's perspective, giving the message to his son to embrace life and do everything you want to do before you die now - don't wait until you're given a death sentence.  Tim flipped it around and adapted the song to reflect the situation that Tim was actually experiencing.  The impact of the song was phenomenal. I still, to this day, don't know how he recorded the song without tearing up.  The pictures and video of his dad in the background is just something to treasure.  For me, I know my dad's been gone a year and I can't get through this song without feeling all flushed inside and tears uncontrollably rolling down my cheeks.  Thank you Tim, for sharing such an intimate, painful part of you and for sharing the message and giving the rest of the world this gift.



2 comments:

  1. I love your list. I have a couple of the same songs on mine. I hadn't heard #2 or #3. Thanks for sharing. You can checkout my list for the sickie challenge at http://kimberlykaye.com/learnlovelive/?p=1193

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved seeing the Elton John video. What a wild sense of fashion! Love it that Elton is the most normal-looking one in the video too.

    ReplyDelete

Get free stuff on Listia!

Auctions for free stuff at Listia.com
Check out my listings!!
more free stuff on Listia

Translate me!

Stay sweet! :-)